On Thursday, April 5, 2012, David Domzalski of the Financial Bin will speak with Chris Kemple, the General Manager of the Wilmington Blue Rocks in Wilmington, DE. The Blue Rocks are the Class-A Advanced Affiliate of the Kansas City Royals.
Chris Kemple begins his 20th season as Blue Rocks general manager and has been in that role since the team’s inception in 1993. As the general manager, Kemple oversees the business operations for the Blue Rocks.
Beginning his 23rd season in professional baseball, the 49-year-old served as general manager for the Peninsula Pilots (Carolina League), Butte Copper Kings (Northwest
League) and the Modesto A’s (California League).
A native of Hacienda Heights, CA, Chris graduated from San Diego State University in 1985 with a bachelor’s degree in journalism. Kemple was recently recognized as Baseball America’s 2004 Minor League Executive of the Year.
Chris and his wife Julie, reside in Newark, DE with their daughter Ella.
We asked Chris …
1. Can you take us through your career leading up to becoming GM of the Wilmington Blue Rocks?
2. As the GM of the Blue Rocks, what are your primary responsibilities?
3. How is running a minor league baseball team like a business?
4. How is the job of a minor league GM different from that of a major league GM?
5. How do you draw people to the ballpark? In what ways do you market the team to attract fans?
6. What are some of the more memorable or clever marketing tactics you use — or saw others teams use?
7. Chris, how is baseball like entrepreneurship? I always likened the two to a test of wills and perseverance. I always believe that, similar to a baseball season, being an entrepreneur is more a marathon than a sprint. What are your thoughts on that?
8. At the Financial Bin, our focus is on members of Gen Y interested in personal finance and entrepreneurship. If you could give the members of Gen Y one tip, what would it be?
9. How can listeners get in contact with you, learn more about the Blue Rocks, and attend a game?
Make sure to pick up your copy of Entrepreneur Intervention: Triumphs & Failures of Entrepreneurs today. Let these 28 individuals share their trials and tribulations with you as they embarked on starting and growing their own companies. It is available on Amazon in paperback and for your Kindle, Nook, iPad, or Sony Reader.